Happy New Year! As I end the first day of 2018, I want to share a process that has a very special place in my life. It’s a consciousness-building exercise that I have found eliminates the sense of failure when my “resolve” leaves me. Instead of the stress of a New Year Resolution, I choose a word to guide my year. I have had so many successful experiences as a result that I just had to share.
What is a Word of the Year?
Seven years ago, my dear friend told me that she chooses a word to guide her year instead of a resolution, and I decided to join her. I have chosen ‘Create’, ‘Grow’, ‘Learn’, ‘Enjoy, ‘Practice’ and ‘Connect’.
- The word I choose needs to apply to all areas of my life. I want it to work for my inner self, my family, my job, relationships and present and future goals.
- I look at my life as it is at present. What do I really want? What has worked? What needs work? I take an honest look at everything and everyone around me and see where my role in my own life is a success and where it needs work.
- I focus on the things that I want, and the goals I have, using the Law of Attraction. By placing a word in front of me, I have been able to manifest my dream life.. I Created art, a home, a family. I Learned how to knit, make art in new ways, lessons about myself, how to cook Paleo food. I Enjoyed my healing processes as I faced health challenges, seeing the world through the eyes of my child, and becoming a blogger and writer.
- I imagine what I want my life to look like, without reservation. Dreaming our ultimate dreams has paid off! I look at the money I want to make, the ways I want to go about it, the steps I need to make it happen, and who I want to become.
My word for 2018 is ‘Nourish’. I will
- Nourish my family.
- Nourish my health.
- Nourish my creativity.
- Nourish my wanderlust.
- Nourish my daughter’s sense of wonder.
- Nourish my marriage.
- Nourish my friendships.
- Nourish my emotional body.
- Nourish my spiritual journey.
- Nourish the environment.
- Nourish my blog.
What is your word? Leave me a comment and tell me why you chose that word.
I love this Lola!!! I am going to think of a word…
Yes!! Please let me know which one comes to you.
I don’t believe I’ve ever made a new year’s resolution, but I like this idea. I’m going to think of a word… a day late!!
It’s never too late! Well, maybe November.. but you’ll have plenty of time to put it into action 😊 let me know what you choose!
Great article Lola. It was such a nice read. I will surely put your words to heart.
May you continue to share such wonderful articles. 🙂
Sending you love from the Philippines.
Neil Alvin Nicerio
The Backpack Adventures
Thank you, Neil! Back to you from the United States xo
Hmmm..not sure what my word is. I’m going to have to think on this. Great post!
Thank you! There are so many to choose from, I start thinking about a month out and then it hits me. Just remember to apply “where am I now?” And “where do I want to be?” Let me know what comes to you!
What a great explanation how to approach your word of the year. I did not have a word on the beginning of 2018 but if I would have to choose a word now it would be intentional. I want to be more open and in the moment this year. If it is at work, with family/friends, financially or with my health.
That’s a great one! If you make it the verb Intend, you can apply it to every area of your life and make it a habit. Good stuff 😊